This monument of locomotive was opened in 1998 to celebrate 110 years of Pskov-Valga-Riga railway connection. The first train from Tartu to Riga had its premier trip on September 25, 1888 that took 12 hours.
Riga-Pskov railway line (with its Tartu-Valga branch), which was officially opened in 1889, had Riga main station. Pskov and Valga operated as second-class stations.
The one-storey and low gable roof station building of Walk in historics style, which was completed the same year, had high ceilings and much internal space. Construction of full-brick walls was exceptional among other second-class station buildings in the area.
Valga with its workshops and main depot became the most important junction of Riga-Pskov railway line and Valga-Tartu branch. The railway workshops here were the largest industrial enterprises of the town employing about 500 people.
Construction of railway launched fast development and brought about rapid growth for the town of Valga.
Valga railway junction was seriously damaged in WWII. The new station building that we have today was completed in 1949 and majority of railway workshops were also restored.
The locomotive SU 251-98 of the monument was produced by Shipyards of Sormovo, Russia in 1949.
The steam engine monument erected near the Valga railway station in 1998 celebrates the 110th anniversary of the Pihkva-Valga-Riga rail connection. Engine SU 251-98 was built in the Sormovo Shipyard in 1949. The engine weighs 87 tons and its output is 12 tons of steam per hour.
Date of visit: 13.07.2014
© Photos by Deniss Ignatjev