The motor engine VME 1-116 was built in 1961 in Hungary in the machine-building factory Ganz-MAVAG for the railways of the USSR and was directed into Ventspils depot for Latvian railway.
- GPS: 59.5012,24.8357
In March 1971 VME 1-116 was sent to Tallinn depot, where it worked in Tallinn and Ülemlste stations and port at manoeuvre work for 20 years, from these last years only on depot rails.
These engines were constructed in the first half of 1950s in Ganz MAVAG factory for the use of Hungarian railway (MAV) for the drive of light trains as well as manoeuvre works and they got for their series name M44. In MAV park there were about 400 M44 engines. From Hungary procured such engines Polish railway (PKP) – series SM40 and SM41 (number unknown), Yugoslavian railways (JZ) – series 641 (approximately 100 pieces) and Bulgarian railway (BDZ; number unknown). To the Soviet Union these engines were delivered in 1956-1964 (series VME 1) 304 pieces and in 1966 more 6 pieces modernised VME 2.[print_gllr id=3768]
VME-1 series engine has a direct current diesel generator. A four-stroke Ganz-Jendrassik V-16 diesel motor develops at the rotation of a crankshaft 1,100 r/min power 440 kW (600 horsepower). The limiting velocity of the engine is 80 km/h, working weight 75 tons.
As first broad-gauge motor engines VME 1 engines found use in Estonia since 1960 above all at manoeuvre works but they were also used before diesel trains arrived (1965) for the drive of light short-distance trains. The Baltic railway concentrated to Estonia in the first half of the 1970s 59 from its 61 VME 1 series engines. The engines worked here until the more powerful shunting engines arrived in the 1980s, were then written off and demolished.
This article is also available in: Русский